By Dr. Paul Ehrlich
Thanksgiving is approaching, and the holiday shopping season has begun, so I thought the time was right for this follow-up to a previous post. Food is not the only problem at holiday time.
For years I was confused by patients who had nasal congestion once their Christmas trees were up. People would think they were allergic to pine trees, but allergists know that pine pollen is very heavy, falls to the ground and does not cause allergies. I learned from a colleague that the symptoms were due to mold allergies. Once cut, these trees die, of course. Then, during the time they are being transported to market, sitting around dead on the streets before they are sold, and then standing in the home, mold has time to grow.
Old Christmas trees are a fire hazard because they dry out and become highly flammable, but if there are allergies in the home, there’s another reason to get rid of them.
Thank you for being so selfless and giving of your precious time to create such an informative website, it offers such great advice!!! Many people could greatly benefit from it. I loved the wet pajama solution; it could probably alleviate many uncomfortable children.
As always, you take the time to see what is BEHIND the symptoms of each uncomfortable patient, not just to give them a prescription and go onto your next patient.
I am so thankful to you for helping my son cope with his runny nose while doing mold injections to immunize him. You gave me the aaltair solution, which helped alleviate his discomfort, until the shots kick in. I greatly appreciate this website, and all you have done for us. Dr. Ehrlich, you are the greatest!!!!!!!
Paul Ehrlich says
There are times when I feel so absolutely wonderful about doing what I do for a living, and when I receive a message like the one from GC it makes it all worth it. Thanks so very much.